Dedicated to capturing Harlow, in pictures...

Sunday 10 November 2013

We Will Remember Them...

Being unable to attend Harlow's Service of Remembrance today, I went to the War Memorial to pay my respects on Friday morning. For those who don't know, our War Memorial can be found in the Town Park, adjacent to the Greyhound pub and the large car park.


While I was there I met a lovely chap from the British Legion - Bob. He would usually have been out selling poppies he told me, but had come along to check that the memorial gardens were spruce and tidy ready for the service. What he discovered fell below standards, so he set to mowing grass and tidying. I spent half an hour happily wielding a broom for him - half an hour of my time to honour those who have lost their lives serving their country didn't seem like very much, I was extremely pleased to be able to help.


If you have attended the Service at the memorial this morning, or have watched the parade marching down to it, then spare a moment to think of the thousands of 'Bobs' all over the country, giving their time willingly to organise parades, sell poppies, and clean war memorials. Wear your poppy with pride.


This stone commemorates those from the town who have lost their lives in service to their country since 1945. Sadly there are apparently more names to be added to it.


"When You Go Home, Tell Them Of Us And Say, For Your Tomorrow, We Gave Our Today"

No comments:

Post a Comment